BRITA UK awarded recycling accolade

Water filtration specialist, BRITA UK has been awarded the National Recycling Star in Gold – the highest sustainability rating possible – and has reduced its landfill waste to 0 per cent.

National Recycling Stars are awarded to businesses who show an ongoing effort to reduce their waste year-on-year. BRITA UK was assessed on its waste management activities over the past year including recycling, increasing awareness within the company and involving employees in the overall improvement process.

BRITA formed a ‘Green Team’ of six employees from across the business to address waste management within the company. The team started by identifying materials which were being sent to landfill, then researched new suppliers and recycling companies to see where parts could be re-used, meaning nothing now goes to waste.

97.2 per cent of site waste is now recycled using containers – located where the waste is generated – making it as easy as possible for all staff to contribute to the landfill reduction process. The remaining 2.8 per cent is removed from the site and sorted again, leaving unrecyclable waste to be turned into renewable energy using an incinerator. To tackle more difficult materials such as polystyrene, BRITA has also invested in new machinery that can process materials on site, lowering the environmental impact of transport by reducing volume.

Leave a Reply